In roulette, you can bet on just one number or different groups of numbers. There are many combinations of bets and all of them have different odds of winning and different payouts. After all, if you bet on more numbers, the higher the chances of winning and therefore the payouts are lower. Apart from that, all bets fall into three main categories: internal, external and announced. The first two categories are the basic ones that are offered by all roulette games and that you should definitely know, while the third is the most advanced and only shows in certain roulette variants. Now we are going to start with the basic roulette bets and then continue with the inside bets.
If we take a look at the roulette table, you will notice that the main part consists of the numbers from zero to 36, and the rest are sectors for placing bets on groups of numbers: even / odd, red / black, 1-18 / 19-36, columns and dozens. The bets that are placed on the numbers are called inside , while the bets that are placed on the other sectors are called outside bets . There are seven types of inside bets as described and illustrated below:
- Full – This is a bet that covers only one number. In order to make this bet, place the chip inside the number square.
- Horse – A bet on two numbers that are adjacent on the table is done by placing the chip on the shared line of the squares of the two numbers.
- Street – Bet on three consecutive numbers located on the same line. The bet is made by placing the chip in the outer corner of the row.
- Six – Bet on two adjacent lines. To make this bet you have to place the chip on the common outer corner of the two lines.
- Corner – This is a four-number bet that is made by placing the chip on the common corner of the four numbers. Also called a “square” bet.
- Trio – Three-number bet that includes zero or double zero. Place the chip on the line shared by zero and the other two numbers.
- Basket – Bet on 0, 1, 2 and 3 with a chip in the corner shared by the zero and the first line. In American roulette the double zero is also included.
As you can see, the inside bet combinations are quite logical and easy to remember. As we have already mentioned, they bring you different chances of winning and different payouts, but if you are playing in safe and legal casinos then you can leave this to the software. If, on the contrary, you decide to play in a physical casino or in a virtual live casino, then we suggest that you read about it, since the dealers are human and as such they could make a mistake. For such cases, we advise you to take a look at our article on the possibilities and probabilities that the different roulette bets give you.
As we have already mentioned, external bets in roulette are those bets that are placed outside the numbered field, in the sectors that cover larger groups of numbers. There are five common types of outside bets:
- Red or Black – Bet on the color of the winning number
- Odd or Even – Bet if the winning number will be odd or even
- 1 to 18 or 19 to 36 – Bet on whether the winning number will be low (less than 19) or high
- Dozens – Bet on one of the three dozen found on the table mat
- Columns – Bet on one of the three columns in which the winning number will be
There is another bet that is considered to be an outside bet, but it is available only in certain variations of roulette. It’s called a snake bet and it covers the red numbers 1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 27, 30, 32 and 34, creating the snake shape. In this bet all numbers are covered with a chip. Some games also have the black snake bet which also looks like a snake, but it consists only of black numbers: 2, 6, 8, 10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 26, 29, 28, 31 and 35. On the combination of the black snake, the numbers 17/20 and 26/29 are horse bets, while all the others are full.